Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Usenet Usenet is offline

Default Dishwasher not swishing: circulation pump gets no power

malua mada! wrote:
On Jan 29, 3:09 pm, Usenet wrote:

I *still* have a problem though! When the pump is meant to kick
in, it doesn't, it merely "hums". My guess is that a month of not
working, being tipped over on it's side, and having water drained from
it, etc, has seized up the pump.

Does anyone know... what do do you turn in the pump or induction
motor in an attempt to unstick it? Here's a very amateur picture of my
machine's pump:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2w6b58o.jpg

Make sure the pump CAN turn i.e. try to turn the impeller. There might
be a foreign object , something displaced from flipping the unit etc.
The crud in the water supply may be connected to recent freeze/ thaw.
Breaks loose all kinds of scale and rust.
Good luck

What a ******* pump I have installed in my machine! The plastic
pump "auricle" attached to the single-phase induction motor is designed
to snap into position -- at the factory -- with plastic "snappy"
fastenings. But it's also designed so you have to *break* the snappy
things, and hence the auricle, if you try and remove it from the motor.
And when the auricle is in place, you can't access all the screw/bolts
that hold the motor together. A ******* pump.

The cooling fan blades are located at the back end of the motor,
almost up against the back of the machine, where there's a metal plate
holding a concrete ingot counter-weight (for when the front door is
lowered), the inlet and outlet hoses, and the mains lead and
anti-interference filter device. However, without undoing *everything*
attached and entirely removing the back plate, one can unfasten the
plate's screws and then pull back on it enough to see the back of the
motor, and see the grey aluminium of the cooling blades at the back of
the rotor.

There are twelve blades on my cooling fan (I marked one with red
felt tip and counted). Using a *thin* wooden chopstick, I could push
the rotor one cooling blade at a time. It's quite stiff, certainly not
like a free spinning bicycle wheel, like I thought it might be. I must
have pushed the rotor completely around about 20 or 30 times by now, in
both directions. One direction *feels* slightly easier than the other,
but this may be because of the radial asymmetry of the blades.

Is this how it's meant to feel, when you push the cooling blades
around? The resistance is constant all the way around, so maybe this is
normal...

...All advice welcome!

Now I have to go do the washing up by hand, again...

Many thanks,

Sandy

(P.S. At least the concrete ingot isn't made of tungsten.)